Thursday, September 9, 2010

Happy TMI Thursday! (This post contains what many would consider to be an overshare.)

I've had strep throat for the last several days, and it basically shut me down. I haven't had energy or willpower to do much more that sit on the couch, watching food network and playing sorority life and bejeweled blitz. No sewing, no job applications. I've mostly been eating Top Ramen, sometimes yogurt and herbal tea, making sure that my food is warm and soft so it won't hurt my throat.

Well. Yesterday I woke up with my horrendous sore throat as well as a splitting headache. I trudged into the bathroom and discovered that my period had started during the night and had soaked right through my pajamas. So then I became desperate to eat something so I could take my pain meds, because strep and cramps at the same time is enough to inspire some very colorful swear words from me. So I got my top ramen breakfast, took enough pain pills (seven ibuprofen tablets) to take the edge off the pain (I could still feel all of it), and settled in to endure the day.

As time went on, I perceived the development of a new problem. Diarrhea. Probably the result of too much ramen. Ugh.

The good news is that after a day like that, the next day is likely to be better, and it is. I think the infection in my throat is going down, my terrible headache is gone, I feel able to eat things more substantial than ramen, and, well, my period always gets less painful as it goes along. Today I had energy to read! maybe tomorrow I can sew up the laptop case that's been cut out and languishing on the living room floor for the past week, while I've felt neither the energy to finish it nor the inclination to put the supplies away.

For this bout of strep I decided to just endure it rather than go get antibiotics because I'm sick of getting this same infection over and over. So if my evil plan comes to fruition, I will have the antibody to this bacterium and maybe I won't have to get it again! (Cue maniacal laughter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment