Sunday, November 14, 2010

Blurring The Lines

As long as I can remember, my mom has "spoken for" our pets. She'll say something and pretend it's what the animal is saying. And she won't admit that it's really her and not the pet. Often, a dog will look on with a worried and helpless expression while my mom carries on a conversation for it. I get the impression the pet really didn't intend to say what she claims it does, but she will never back down. Ever. She denies any implication that she is just making it all up.

In the "conversations" I've had with pets over the years, my mom has always called me "sis." As in, the cat is calling me sis. It's as if the pets are my younger siblings. But my mom has never gone so far as to actually call them her children. She allows the pets to be part of the family, but doesn't take it further than that.

Ok, so I just saw a commercial in which a lady is talking about how much her son likes her new car. Then she specifies that her "son" is a cocker spaniel. Now, you'd think that with my background of blurred distinctions between people and their pets, I could take this in stride. But this is bizarre! I'm saying it's freaking weird to claim animals as your children. This is coming from me. It's weird. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment