Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Curious Case of The Frying Vegetables

So for dinner tonight I decided to make a fusion style vegetable stir fry. I didn't have any Asian veggies on hand, so I diced some sweet potatoes, onions, turnips and brussels sprouts. Yum! The Asian touch was going to come from the dressing. While the veggies sautéed I mixed up a bit of soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, red pepper, ginger and garlic. It smelled odd. Oh well, I thought. I haven't made this in awhile.

Once the veggies were done cooking I drizzled the dressing over and mixed it all up. I took a taste and detected not even the slightest hint of soy sauce. I shook some more soy sauce over the veggies, stirred, and sampled again. Nope. Couldn't taste it.

I tried once more, adding a touch more sauce, with no result. What was wrong? I glanced at the bottle resting glibly on the counter and a terrible thought struck me. Slowly, I turned the bottled around. There, written on the label in the clearest lettering possible: Worcestershire Sauce. Yep. The Tamari stood innocently in the cupboard where I had left it.

Ugh. The veggies were gross! It was meant to be fusion, but the Worcestershire sauce just did not work well with the other flavors. Shayne, ever the gentleman, ate it and called it good. I called it ruined, but I ate as much as I could so as not to waste. Quelle dommage! The tragedy! Another Idiot Girl moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment