Tuesday, April 13, 2010

In Which We Examine The Cost Effectiveness Of Procreation vs Purchasing a House

So, Shayne and I were watching a show on HGTV about first-time homebuyers, and Shayne commented that the people were crazy to be buying a house right after they were married.

"Well, I don't know." I countered. "In her book entitled Autobiography of a Fat Bride, Laurie Notaro remarks that others in her community expected her and her husband to either have a baby or buy a house in their first year of marriage."

"What, is this some kind of rule I haven't heard of? Why would they need to do that?"

"I don't know. Everybody was just all like, 'when are you having a baby? When are you buying a house?' and Laurie felt like they needed to do one or the other in the first year."

"Weird. I would have a kid. It would be cheaper."

There was a pause in the conversation as his assertion sunk in.

"At least at first it would be cheaper." He amended.

"I'm not sure." I told him.

"It would be cheaper at first. At least in the short term." Shayne insisted.

"Well, I don't know. These people are getting a thirty year mortgage. I am now thirty, but my mom isn't free and clear. Mortgages end, but your kids are still your kids forever. Worlds without end."

"Without end?" He echoed.

"Without end." I confirmed.

And I think it's true. I mean, I have a credit card that my mom gave me to use when I need it. And lately I've put some charges on it. And I'm thirty, my friends. And my mom isn't free. And since families are forever, She Never. Will. Be.

Yeah. I think I would buy a house.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like book club has expanded from "convince Lacey not to have kids" to "convince Lacey and Cyd not to have kids." :-)

    I'd pick the house too.

    ReplyDelete