Wednesday, June 23, 2010

New Job or Let The Good Times Roll

So I know I said this about my last job when I was in training, but I really like working at Majestic Mountain Sage. Today I filled squillions of little glass bottles with essential oil, put the caps on, wiped them down of excess oil, affixed the labels, and arranged the bottles on the shelf. Over and over. It was so nice. no pressure to sell anybody anything, just me and my coworkers and the bottles. And I finally figured out that I can actually take painkillers to help with sore feet and back. It took me long enough.

At the end of the day I came home reeking of a mix of coconut, lavender, citronella and neem oil. The neem oil smelled the worst, like rancid coffee. No kidding. It smelled moldy. But we got it done and one may hope that neem oil doesn't need to be poured all the time.

I now understand why essential oils are so very expensive. It's all incredibly labor intensive. There are people standing there pouring oils into the bottles with little beakers, printing labels on the computer, weighing each bottle to make sure it has the right amount, adjusting amounts with an eye dropper, putting everything on the shelf in a specific order, then another team comes and gets the bottles and packs them up by hand to ship out. This is the "handling" part of "shipping and handling."

Now I want to go out for dinner. I think I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment